The United Nations has confirmed reports that at least 53 migrants died while more than 100 were injured after guards fired at the migrants trying to flee an air strike at a detention centre in Libya.
Thousands of migrants trying to reach Europe, many of them sub-Saharan Africans, are being held in Libyan detention camps.
According to the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet, the air strikes could constitute a war crime.
Meanwhile, there is a blame game between government and the opposition militia for the attacks.
The African country has been torn by violence and division since long-time ruler Muammar Gaddafi was deposed and killed in 2011.
“There are reports that following the first impact, some refugees and migrants were fired upon by guards as they tried to escape,” a UN report said.
A UN mission visited the camp on Wednesday and helped evacuate the injured but said there had been.
More than 500 people are living in fear and remain exposed to violence.
Libyan media quoted Interior Minister Fathi Bashagha as saying the government was now considering closing all detention centres and releasing all migrants.
Nigeria says nine Nigerian men were killed during the incident at Tajoura.
A Libyan Health ministry official said : “People were everywhere, the camp was destroyed, people are crying, there is psychological trauma, the lights cut off… it was horrible, blood is everywhere.”